Monday, August 20, 2007

#22

Facebook and MySpace are so much fun! My students and some of our younger staff members got me involved in it at the beginning of the summer. Both sites are fun but I definitely prefer Facebook for several reasons.

MySpace is very glitchy. All the fun in MySpace exists in developing your profile...you can do the coolest stuff simply by adding html code in certain locations! But half the time you'll be in your profile and it will crash MySpace and then you'll have to go log in again, and sometimes you lose stuff and it's all very frustrating at times. I have not spent as much time developing my profile on MySpace or developing my Friends list. My one thing that I like best about MySpace is my Playlist -- that's a list of my favorite songs that I can listen to when I want to...I really like being able to listen to my music!! Until, of course, MySpace crashes and then I have to go log in again. The only interaction you really have with your friends on MySpace is if you go check out their profiles and send them a message or just write a comment on their profile. You can post a bulletin to all your friends, but overall, MySpace gets a little boring after you succeed in getting your profile set up. And it wasn't easy to set up the profile either...I had to have all kinds of help, so not exactly the most user friendly thing in the world.

Facebook, on the other hand, does not offer music...(if it ever does, I'll probably trash my whole MySpace account and just keep a Facebook profile instead!) Facebook does not allow you to post html codes in your profile either, to link you to funny pictures, videos, etc. It would be nice if it did....but Facebook is a lot more FUN! It's a lot more socially interactive. I've spent a lot more time developing my friends lists. You can message your friends, write on their "wall", draw pictures for each other, etc. And there are tons of Applications you can add to your account that are just play related. You can join groups that have similar interests that you have. You can Poke your friends, which is just a playful way of reaching out and saying hi to someone. I have created my own quizzes, I have located people from my past that I'd lost -- I even found a lady on Facebook that I used to walk to Middle School with back in the early 80's, who I haven't seen in 25 years! She moved away and is now living in Canada, and I found her on Facebook through joining an Athens High School Group. What are the chances?? I HIGHLY recommend everyone joining Facebook and keeping in touch with each other. It's especially nice in keeping up with old student employees! It's fun to collect friends and every now and again you come across someone who you had nearly forgotten about and you can get caught up!

No comments: